As you learn to navigate the unprecedented changes to your work and home lives, it is resilience that will carry you through. Resilience doesn’t remove pain and strife from your life, but it does boost your ability to handle the challenges that come your way. Resilient people tend to be happier since they don’t let circumstances dictate their mood. Intriguing research suggests they’re healthier too. Resilience has been associated with positive outcomes such as better mental health in people who have a physical illness or have been through trauma and a reduced risk for hospitalization. Experts aren’t entirely sure why this is true. Resilient people may take more positive action to manage their health, but biological factors, like genes and hormones, may also play a role.
Learn how to bounce back
Each person’s pathway to resilience looks different. Try one or more of these strategies to build your skills:
- Recall your triumphs. In the midst of difficult times, recall a past challenge you’ve conquered. You were strong enough to handle that hardship—and now you’re even stronger because of it.
- See obstacles as opportunities. In the end, each setback represents a chance to shine. Many people report better relationships, higher self-worth, and a greater appreciation for life after difficulties. You can seek out your own silver lining.
- Take small steps. You might not be able to tackle a huge problem all at once. That’s OK. Making even one small move toward a solution can help you take steps toward bigger goals.
- Practice self-compassion. Instead of judging or blaming yourself for problems, treat yourself kindly. Consider how you would console a friend in the same situation.
- Prioritize self-care. Proper stress management, rest, and exercise boost your ability to cope.
- Seek support. Resilience doesn’t mean being strong enough to handle burdens alone. Rather, it’s about reaching out for help when you need it.
LifeSolutions can help. We have resources in place to help you feel better during this difficult time. Call us for more information about the services available to help you increase your resilience during COVID-19. Counseling services are confidential. They are available to PTC students at no cost.
LifeSolutions is here to help.
The StayWell Company LLC © 2020
Used by permission of Life Advantages LLC.
Written by the StayWell Company, 2020.